Friday, October 07, 2011

Clay Date #2

Week 2 of pottery detour produced three more bowls--bowls that I had thought held a promise of improvement. My how shadowy memory is!
Yes, there was some improvement, though quite modest. In my mind, I had thought my bowls had gotten bigger and more "finished" in appearance. If they are bigger, they are only a wee bit bigger. On two of the three, as you will see, I've used stamps to create a design.

The top bowl was supposed to have been a soup bowl, but one would have to fill it about five times to satisfy one's hunger! I've included my lens cap in the photo to help with scale.

The tea bowl above (which IS the right size for sipping tea) and the soup bowl above were embellished with stamps. I then rubbed iron oxide red into the crevices of the design; then I glazed over each piece with peridot. Each bowl has an interior glaze of chino green, which I really like.

The last bowl may become another small dog bowl. It is glazed in a honey amber, which I like, but I think I may mix it with something in the future.

The process of throwing, firing, glazing and re-firing takes some time, which is why I'm on week 2 with the finished product and on week 7 of the course. I didn't glaze anything this week. By only going once a week, I'm further prolonging the process. However, I have been throwing each week, and I'm trying to squeeze in a second day of work in the studio. Subsequent pieces, I believe, will really show progress. I have two vases, two bowls (which is where growth is clearly evident) and two mugs. Of course, memory may be better than the reality!

Either way, I'm hooked! I love the feel of the clay spinning through my hands and the magic of creating something with at least some aesthetic appeal using a lump brown clay.

Come back soon--there will be more poetry and more pottery soon!

3 comments:

The Gooseberry Garden said...

pottery is such fantastic art.

you have given so much details on it, well done.

amazing post.

The Gooseberry Garden said...

Welcome sharing your poetry with us, 1 to 3 poems , old or new, related or free style are welcome!

Hope to see you in, Happy Tuesday!

http://gooseberrygoespoetic.blogspot.com/2011/10/poetry-picnic-week-8-friends.html

Harry Nicholson said...

They are lovely little pots - the colours rich and of the Earth. I'd be pleased to have one within reach.
regards
Harry - wandered here from some poetry site, can't remember which one.