Monday, May 09, 2011

Encore Provence

There has been no time to play with the camera--probably there will be no time until after next week, so I bringing up another photo from my 2008 trip to France. We left Paris on the TGV, a high-speed train, and arrived in Avignon after about two hours. After spending the night there, we began our whirlwind tour with stops just outside Avignon to see the Roman ruins of aqueducts, then to Arles where we saw the ruins of a Roman amphitheatre, and through Nimes and an ancient Roman coliseum.

Then we turned toward Provence and the villages of Peter Mayle's series of books on Provence. Glenna and I stumbled upon this castle ruin when we took a wrong turn somewhere in the Luberon. If I remember correctly, this facade was across the valley from Gordes.

Glenna was a little worried about getting out of the car and poking around the grounds, but I didn't think we could pass up the opportunity to wander just a bit. Whether the area surrounding the castle walls had been a moat or perhaps an interior garden between an outer wall and the castle wall, I cannot say. But it was a fun little adventure none-the-less!

She and I hope to make our way back to Paris in the next year or two, and maybe we'll be able to wander dusty roads of the French countryside once more!

No comments: