Wednesday, May 25, 2011

In the Nursery

As the last few pictures attest, my only frequent activity these days is in the garden. The calendar suggested the beets and potatoes were ready for harvesting, but I wasn't sure, having never grown either. So, I dug up one potato plant. To my delight, there were two perfect, new potatoes. To my dismay, I may have wiped out several more that still needed time to grow, as evidenced by the tiny red dots you can observe to the right of the "ready" potatoes. I boiled them, along with the baby beet I harvested (honestly no bigger than a cherry), and had a very simple lunch seasoned with fresh pepper, butter, and parsley from the garden. The potatoes melted in my mouth.

I tried tamping the tiny spuds back in the ground, but I'm afraid I've likely killed any potential potatoes on that plant. It looked pretty wilted when I went back outside. But I am excited that I will have SOME potatoes.

On the bottom right you can see a baby butternut squash. This will be a first for me as well.

So that is all the news I have from the veggie nursery. I'm looking at a macro lens, which should improve shots of smaller, close-up objects. We'll see.

No comments: